Now the silly season is here again, and that old perennial democracy is dusted down and paraded about, I’ve come up with some tips for any political candidates yet to be sullied by corruption or vested interest.
1) Introduce a new system of incentive credits, whereby if you don’t use any government service for one calendar year you can use that to get another free. For example, don’t visit the doctor don’t pay community charge (or car tax). Don’t own a car, likewise.
2) All new house builds have to contain a minimum of 50% recycled materials.
3) All new house builds have to be insulated to such a level that the minimum temperature inside (without heating) is never below 17C.
4) All new house builds have to have a minimum of 5000 litres of rainwater storage.
5) Free car tax and MOT for vehicles over 15 years old, same for cars doing less than 2000kms a year.
6) Free community charge for new house builds using more than 75% recycled materials.
7) New scale of (potable) water charges. Up to 100m3 a year per household there is no standing charge and the rate is half the current one. From 100m3 – 110m3 you pay standing charge plus a rate at four times the current, doubling for each subsequent 10m3. 50% reduction across the board if there is a rainwater storage system installed with a capacity of more than 5000 litres.
8) New scale of electricity charges. Up to 365 Kw units a year per household there is no standing charge and the rate is half the current one. Above that you pay a standing charge plus four times the current rate. Electricity put back into the grid is credited at the highest rate payable.
10) All state benefits and pensions to be scrapped (apart from those with a disability). Instead each adult is paid a minimum wage for life equal to the current (and thereafter index-linked) no-tax threshold.
11) State education no longer mandatory.
Time we all take democracy back into our own hands.